On this blog, I will write about nuclear disarmament, peace education and other things that interest me, including ecology, vegetarianism, sports & peace, prevention of violence.
Nuclear threats, common security and disarmament
A reflection on the 35th anniversary of New Zealand’s nuclear weapons ban, and what we can do now to prevent nuclear war and achieve global nuclear abolition. by Alyn Ware* If you have been following the conflict in Ukraine, you will no doubt have noticed that not...
Nuclear weapons and law for the future
Nuclear weapons and law for the future: The application of principles protecting future generations in international tribunals By Alyn Ware* Paper presented at ‘Taking Legal Action on Behalf of Future Generations’, an international conference held from November 17-18,...
Human Security and the United Nations are vital to address the pandemic
The corona virus pandemic has highlighted how important the United Nations and a human security framework (versus a military security framework) are for humanity in this globalized world. Globalisation – especially international travel – has been a key factor in the...
- June 4: Fund peace not war. Ted-X Stockholm talk during Stockholm+50 conference.
- June 1. Climate, peace and human security. Inter-generational dialogue on the connections between the climate crisis, peace, disarmament and the sustainable development goals. Swedish Parliament.
- May 13: Peace education and common security: Positive peace from schools to the world, Right Livelihood Lecture, Zurich.
- March 10: Disarmament that saves lives. Webinar on parliamentary action to control small arms and light weapons.
- January 19. Nuclear disarmament and human security. Global webinar on parliamentary action.
- November 9-10: Disarmament, public health, and pandemics: Global webinar on public policy and parliamentary action.
- Oct 28. The United Nations and the Climate-Nuclear Disarmament Nexus. UN Disarmament Week event.
- June 29. Assuring our Common Future: Disarmament for Sustainable Development. Parliamentary Handbook Launch: Australia, NZ and the Pacific
- Mar 9: UK parliamentary event to introduce the parliamentary handbook on disarmament for sustainable development. (Closed event)
- Mar 1: World Future Day 24 hour round-the-world conversation and Nuclear Remembrance Day. New Zealand Session, 12noon – 1pm NZ time. (Open event. Everyone welcome to join).
- Feb 27: Let’s talk: nuclear disarmament. Hosted by UN Youth Association Denmark.
- Feb 18: Peace and Human Security, Panel at A Planetary Moment, the World Academy of Arts and Science 60th Anniversary Conference.
- Feb 17: Nuclear Hotseat Podcast: Nuclear Biden: Disarmament Strategies, Conflict Resolution – Alyn Ware – #504
- Feb 8: Peace Agenda 2045: Abolition of Nuclear Weapons and War. Panel at the PyeongChang Peace Forum.
- Feb 2. Ban the Bomb: Protect our Planet. ThinkTechHawaii TV program hosted by Joshua Cooper.
- Feb 19. New York. PNND/IPU Parliamentary roundtable: Parliamentarians and the UN Disarmament Agenda.
- Feb 9-11. PyeongChang, South Korea. PyeongChang Peace Forum.
- Jan 10. Basel. Basel Peace Forum
- Jan 9. Basel. Climate, peace and security: From youth voices to policy action. Launch of the Peace and Climate action of European Youth (PACEY) Award.
- Dec13-14. Brussels. EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Conference.
- Dec 3-4. Seoul. Speaker at the Seoul Peace Conference hosted by Seoul Mayor. Alyn Ware Seoul presentation.
- Dec 2-3. Tokyo. Meetings with PNND Japan and Religions for Peace.
- Nov 19: Basel. Basel Peace Office AGM. My annual report as BPO Director.
- Oct 20-Nov 1: New York. UN General Assembly and Count the Nuclear Weapons Money.
- Oct 13-17. Belgrade. Inter Parliamentary Union Assembly: Advancing parliamentary action on the climate and nuclear disarmament.
- Oct 7-8: Prague. Lay down your arms international conference
- Sep 21-27: New York. Global Week for Peace, Climate, SDGs and Nuclear Abolition. Including the International Day for the Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
- Sep 12-17 Cairo. World Future Council Annual meeting.
- Sep 11: Edinburgh. ATOM Project and PNND event with Karipbek Kuyukov in Scottish Parliament.
- Sep 9: London. ATOM Project and PNND event in the House of Commons
- Sep 5: Vienna. Move the Nuclear Weapons Money and Pension fund divestment roundtable
- Sep 2: Geneva. Cooperation amongst NWFZs to advance a nuclear weapon free world, Diplomatic roundtable to commemorate the International Day Against Nuclear Tests
- July 21-28: Mumbai and Delhi. Right Livelihood Foundation speaking events
- July 17-21: Dhaka. PNND and nuclear divestment meetings
- July 4-8: Luxembourg. Advocacy at the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly
- June 20: Washington DC: Roundtable event on Move the Nuclear Weapons Money. USA Launch of Global Peace Index
- May 8: New York. Panel: Cooperation towards Nuclear Weapon Free Zones.
- May 7: New York. Move the Nuclear Weapons Money event at the UN;
- May 5: New York. Annual meeting of Abolition 2000, the global network to eliminate nuclear weapons. Co-chair of new working group Peace, disarmament and SDGs: Global week of action Sep 21 – 26;
- May 1: New York. PNND event at Non-Proliferation Treaty Prep Com. Parliamentary actions for nuclear disarmament.
- April 12-13: Basel. Nuclear weapons and fossil fuel divestment conference.
- Mar 18-22: New Zealand. Peace Bike Ride
- Feb 15: Canberra. PNND event in parliament on nuclear risk-reduction and disarmament
- Feb 8-10: Seoul, South Korea. PyeongChang Global Peace Forum. Adopts Resolution on Peace in Korea and 5-Point Action Plan for Global Peace.
- Jan 30: Global. Release of Mayors & Parliamentarians call on on Russia and the U.S. to preserve the INF Treaty
- Jan 16: Basel, Switzerland. European Regional Meeting of Parliamentarians and City Leaders on
Nuclear Disarmament and Divestment
- Jan 15: Basel. Public event. Investing in peace and sustainability – divesting from fossil fuels and war.
- Jan 14: Basel. Basel Peace Forum: Action to highlight Euoropean weapons exports.
- Jan 12: Trento, Italy. A Nuclear-Weapon-Free World. Is it desirable. Is it feasible. Presentation at the ISODARCO Winter Course
- Jan 14-15: Basel, Switzerland. Where are the Nukes? Are you banking on the bomb? Pavilion at the Basel Peace Forum.
- Feb 22-23: Vienna, Austria. Information booth for parliamentarians at the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Winter Session.
- Mar 8. Prague, Czech Republic. Presentation for Nuclear disarmament Update, Prague Institute of International Relations.
- Mar 15-18. Prague, Czech Republic. Presentations to the regional Model United Nations (plenary, UN Security Council and UN General Assembly sessions).
- Mar 24-27: Geneva, Switzerland.138th IPU Assembly. Side-event on new PNND/IPU/SCRAP project on comprehensive disarmament. Intervention to IPU Assembly on nuclear disarmament and SDGs.
- March 28: New York, USA. Press conference at the UN to launch Move the Nuclear Weapons Money platform and civil society statement supporting diplomacy in North East Asia.
- April 5. Tauranga, NZ. Presentation to the United Nations Association AGM, Implementing the United Nations goals of peace and disarmament.
- April 12. Wellington, NZ. Public presentation Nuclear Threats, Diplomacy and the United Nations.
- April 19. Geneva, Switzerland. Co-chair of diplomatic round-table on Reviving Nuclear Threat Reduction and Disarmament.
- Apr 23. Geneva, Switzerland. Organiser and Chair of Parliamentary Action for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World, side event at the Non-Proliferation Treaty Prep Com.
- April 28. Geneva, Switzerland. Co-chair of the Abolition 2000 AGM.
- May 1. Geneva, Switzerland. Organiser and speaker at the event Nuclear weapons and the law on human rights and future generations
- May 11: New York, USA. Co-Chair of the Abolition 2000 International Strategy Meeting.
- May 24: Geneva, Switzerland. Press conference at the UN to release the international appeal of women legislators Common security for a sustainable and nuclear-weapon-free world.
- June 3: Berlin, Germany. Interview with Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) for the Move the Nuclear Weapons Money campaign.
- June 7-9. The Hague, Netherlands. Events in the Peace Palace and Humanity House to commemorate the 175th birthday of Bertha von Suttner, first woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.
- June 11-12. Berlin, Germany. Consultation event with German NGOs on the Move the Nuclear Weapons Money Campaign including on nuclear weapons divestment in Germany.
- Jun 25-27. London, UK. Parliamentary event to release the CND report on military diversification and economic conversion.
- July 1-4. Basel, Switzerland. Planning meetings for a regional conference in 2019 on a European Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone and on nuclear weapons divestment in Europe.
- July 7-11. Berlin, Germany. Information booth for parliamentarians at the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Annual Session
- July 12-14. Buchel, Germany. International Action Camp outside military base where US nuclear weapons are deployed.
- Jan 20: Vienna consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. NH Danube Hotel, 9:30-11:30
- Jan 24: Geneva consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Right Livelihood Foundation Office, Maison de la Paix. 13:00-15:00
- Jan 26: Washington DC consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Green Cross International Conference Room, L St and 15th. 9:30-12:00.
- Feb 15: New York consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Bahai Conference Room, 866 UN Plaza. 10:00-12:00.
- Feb 23-24: PNND information booth at Parliamentary Assembly of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe winter meeting, Vienna.
- March 7. London. PNND briefing and discussion on Nuclear risk-reduction measures, disarmament negotiations and the role of parliamentarians. Millbank House, House of Lords, London, UK. Hosted by PNND Co-President Baroness Sue Miller.
- March 22: Berlin. PNND/UNFOLD ZERO consultation event on nuclear disarmament negotiations.
- March 27-31: New York. First session of UN negotiations for a nuclear prohibition treaty.
- April 3: Dhaka, Bangladesh. PNND side event Nuclear-risk-reduction and achieving a nuclear-weapon-free world at the 136th Assembly of the Inter Parliamentary Union.
- April 5-7: Dhaka, Bangladesh. 2017 PNND Assembly. Adoption of the Parliamentary Action Plan for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World.
- April 20-22: Berlin. Workshops for the Evangelische Schule Berlin Centrum.
- April 25: Fribourg, Switzerland. No weapons for Mass Atrocities. Public event at Fribourg University.
- May 2-12: Vienna, Austria. Conference of States Parties to the NPT (Preparatory Meeting for the 2010 NPT Review Conference).
- Oct 14-18: St Petersburg. Panel at IPU Assembly and release of the Parliamentary Action Plan for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World
- Nov 10-11: The Vatican. Meeting Pope Francis and participating in the Vatican Conference on Nuclear Disarmament.
- Nov 12: Bonn. Presentation to the Parliamentary Meeting of the COP 23 Climate Change Conference.
- Nov 15: Madrid. Keynote speaker for two parliamentary events.